This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Option to Change Process Name

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM
Is there any way when the program starts, that it could ask for the process name and description that would display in task manager? Or the ability to run as a hidden process?
Coordinator
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:34 AM
It is already too late once the program starts, you would have to develop your own wrapper script to rename the "Move Mouse.exe" file before launching.

AFAIK - hiding a process from Task Manager is not supported, or even recommended if it was. I can only assume this is to prevent viruses from running in a hidden state on a machine.
Marked as answer by sw3103 on 10/2/2014 at 3:34 AM
Apr 29, 2016 at 4:31 PM
I hate to bring up an old thread but this has become very relevant for me. The company has started cracking down on movemouse use. And even if I wrap the process, and rename the executable it won't stop them from detecting the file from it's file properties, from things like file description, product name, etc. I love the program because the companies lock timeouts are set at 1m, and I end up logging in a zillion times a day. So the ability to set the process name, and more important the properties is a much needed feature.

Thanks!
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:37 PM
I believe these attributes are read-only, and can't be manipulated at runtime.

You could rename the process, or even download a copy of Visual Studio Express for free, a copy of the Move Mouse source code, and recompile the application with minimal effort to change these values, although most sophisticated scanners can actually look inside binaries to see which API's they are calling to determine what it is doing, so not sure that would necessarily help you.
Coordinator
May 3, 2016 at 3:31 PM
The original idea for Move Mouse came from when I worked at an investment bank, and we needed a solution to stop their shared market data terminals from locking (let's not go into why the people responsible for imposing the time-out were the ones asking for the workaround!). The solution was a very simple VB script which simulated a shift key press every couple of minutes.

Here is an updated version in PowerShell, which unless your IT department are restricting the use of scripts, should work fine.
do {
    Start-Sleep -Seconds 30
    Write-Host "Interrupt..."
    (New-Object -ComObject WScript.Shell).SendKeys("+")
} while ($true)