This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Start Move Mouse for all users that logon

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:48 PM
Hello,

I would like to start MM when ANY user logs onto a PC. Is there a way to do this via MM? I tried starting MM using Scheduled Tasks set to kick off MM when anyone logs onto the PC but the start and pause scripts don't seem to work when doing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:16 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM
HI,

In theory the following should work, although you may see some "Access Denied" messages if anyone tries to change any of the settings, as the XML and script files will most probably be protected (you could of course give Everyone full control if you wish, although that will allow non-admin users to change settings and scripts that will be run in others user's session, which is a bit scary!).
  • Create a directory called "C:\Program Files\Move Mouse".
  • Copy the latest version of Move Mouse to that directory.
  • Open Notepad, copy the following text into it, and save as "MoveMouse.reg" (change the "Save as type:" option to "All Files" otherwise it will save it as "MoveMouse.reg.txt".
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"Move Mouse"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Move Mouse\\Move Mouse.exe\" /WorkingDirectory:\"C:\\Program Files\\Move Mouse\""
  • Double-click the "MoveMouse.reg" file to create the required registry value that will launch Move Mouse each time a user logs on (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Move Mouse).
NOTE: If you do not give Everyone write permissions to that directory (recommended), you will need to perform the following steps each time you want to change the settings or scripts in Move Mouse.
  • Close any running instances of Move Mouse (right-click on System Tray icon).
  • Launch Move Mouse from "C:\Program Files\Move Mouse".
  • Make any required changes to settings or scripts.
  • Close Move Mouse.
  • In a Run dialogue (WindowsKey plus R), paste the following and click OK:
%AppData%\Ellanet\Move Mouse
  • Copy all files into "C:\Program Files\Move Mouse", overwriting all duplicates if prompted.
  • Re-login.
Let me know how you get on.

sw3103
Jan 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM
Thanks again for your help...

It looks like everything is working well except one nagging issue. I keep getting the popup that says Open File -Security Warning. The publisher could not be verified.

Is there a way to get this to go away for all users so they don't have to click "run" to get MM started each time they logon?

Thanks,
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:45 PM
If you right-click on the ZIP file that you downloaded from CodePlex, and select Properties, do you see an option to “Unblock” the file?

If so – click the “Unblock” button and extract the EXE again, which should now open without the security warning.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:32 PM
I tried the unblock button and it takes away the messages but the auto start on logon no longer starts the MM program. If I put the block back on it will auto start MM on logon but will ask the security warning questions.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:37 PM

Hmmmm, I'm not sure where to go from here!

Does Move Mouse launch if you open it yourself from Program Files?

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM
Yes, it seems to work perfectly if I start it manually from the c:\program files\Move Mouse directory. I just don't understand why it would not start automatically at start up... Strange one for sure.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2015 at 4:21 PM

If you type this into a “Run” box, does it launch?

"C:\Program Files\Move Mouse\Move Mouse.exe" /WorkingDirectory:"C:\Program Files\Move Mouse"

Always make sure that any open instances of Move Mouse are closed first as there’s an inbuilt check not to let more then one instance run at a time.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM
Yes, it starts fine and uses the scripts in the proper directory when I type in
"C:\Program Files\Move Mouse\Move Mouse.exe" /WorkingDirectory:"C:\Program Files\Move Mouse" .

Just won't start at logon for some strange reason...
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM

It’s a bit baffling.

Can you repeat the step where you create the “MoveMouse.reg” file and import it into your Registry, just to make sure that’s all fine?

Are multiple users logged on at the same time (Fast User Switching)?

Marked as answer by sw3103 on 3/20/2017 at 2:26 PM